Monday, February 4, 2008

February 4th





"Piper's" holiday at school. The clean up day after carnival, so no one has school/work today. Dad and Jay went to Makapuu and I took Sierra to Koko Head to glaze a ceramic piece that I had made there when I subbed a few weeks ago. Then we went to Long's and Safeway and finally picked up your medicine. I'll pack it with dad when he comes. I got your text and I'm sorry to hear that you don't think you'll last 6 weeks. Give it a couple of weeks and then if you need to change, find out if you can move on. Maybe you'd prefer the care programs-- Bolivia?? Peru?? I'm sure that you're doing very valuable work. I'll bet the conditions are harsh. I guess that's the real world. We're so lucky just to be born in this country. We watched Groundhog Day- the movie, last night after the Super Bowl. The NY Giants upset the New England Patriots and ruined their perfect season. It was a fun game and since you'll be living in NY by the end of the year, we cheered for the Giants. Lars is a big Giants fan, but Curt and some of the Ai's wanted the Patriots to go 19-0 and make history. It was a close game, and came down to the wire so it was quite entertaining. I'm including some pictures of carnival and of Sierra's Thursday ballet class-- she loves it! We really miss you and hope that you can find meaning in this part of your trip. How's the journal?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the lotion medecine in the tube right? also i probably need another case of pills to last four months?
yeah, the real world is going to be tough. but i know i can choose my attitude about that. im gonna see how this week goes with 8am-1pm tough construciton work and resting/writing/reading/resting/iPoding/eating/resting in the afternoons. if at the end of the week i want more (or less) construction, i can do that. i may also take on teaching informal english classes to little kids a couple weeks into this. Ive told both Haydee my host mom and Jenny Torres, who ive never actually met but is coordinating the volunteer visions stuff, that i will stay in Pisco until Feb. 29, then either switch to another program in another city, or travel to another town, or do a long solo trip until Dad arrives. i may also decide to stay until march 17ish when my six weeks are up, but six weeks is a long time. Pisco is unlike anywhere ive ever been. i think i can perhaps make a small difference here, but thats actually not my biggest goal. my biggest goal is to make this place a part of my history, and to learn, gain perspective by working and living here in these conditions. i think it will take at least four weeks to really integrate myself into this disaster and make sense of it.
i dont have time to make a blog entry right now which is no big deal since i dont have any pictures of Pisco - Haydee mentioned i should be discreet about showing my expensive camera out in public. but i will have pictures and when i find time to make a new entry, they will wow my blog-readers for sure.
lovelovelovelove!
ps. a close super bowl?? wow
pps. the journal is good, im about to go make a huge entry, maybe with some drawings/doodles. i wont write on the other side of a page i draw on, but i am double-siding each page in case i run out of room. miss you guys!!

Unknown said...

hi! if you want to log onto my "myprojectsabroad" page, the site is myprojectsabroad.com the username is jsmart1 and the password is jackoperu
just had a good day of construction with roofs and walls and doors. lots of heavy lifting, i am sore - in a good way. :)
not sure what i want to do in early March yet but perhaps, if i plan enough in advance, a trip to Chile/Bolivia? i dont know.
love you guys a whole lot, thinking about you!!