Wednesday, April 2, 2008

March 31st and April 1st


Back to school and work! The big news is that Aloha Airlines is bankrupt and without any notice it stopped flying yesterday. 1,900 employees are out of a job and it's going to strand a ton of people, including Tutu and Papa who have already bought tickets to go to Calif. this summer. Oh, and last week, I didn't tell you but Molokai Ranch is also closing down all operations so a few hundred ranch employees are out a job on Molokai and there will be no lodge, or golf course, etc. Scary time in our economy, I guess. The news is totally about the Aloha thing right now, as they don't even have any employees answering phones as of today, so no one knows what to do about prior reservations, etc. Luckily, we don't have any plans to fly Aloha right now, but it will definitely make inter-island travel more expensive now. I'm going to be early today because I'm taking Yui to the airport at 5:30am tomorrow. She's moving to L.A. for a few months and then back to Japan. We don't have any other student's lined up yet.... I'll let you know. Hope all is well and that you're healthy and enjoying your new project. Luuurrrrve you!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thats so weird about Aloha - was it an April Fools joke?? Inter-island flying is a big issue now Im sure, but what about the superferry? Those here who know a bit more about Hawaii than the basic stereotypes ask me about the superferry.
Once again, I find myself the only American and the only 18 year old. Im not complaining, because generally the people at Taricaya are pretty cool, and everyones really into all the amazing activities. This weekend I feel so priveleged to have the opportunity to order at a restaurant (gasp!), use the internet (how?!), or text with my cell phone - though thats been acting really weird, deciding sometimes to have full reception and sometimes none. I got your text mom, which means you got mine, so thats good. But its weird cuz I sent that text while we were on the boat, then when we got off I checked it and it had no signal again.
Anyway, Im doing pretty good, adjusting pretty well to the lodge considering the shock most people seem to have when they arrive. My journal is looking great, although the past couple days its been difficutlt because my free time has been consumed by the Barack Obama book "Dreams from my Father". Taricaya has a communal library, just a couple of bookshelves with random novels, which Ill probably look at after Ive finished all my books. Last Saturday as I told you I was really sick after arriving in Puerto, kind of a gradual descent into nausea that could have resulted from anything - food, the change in temperature and moisture, something on the flight. Ive also been sleeping ridiculously long amounts for some reason, thinking that will change. People at the lodge get sick all the time, it seems, and nobody really knows how sometimes. Guess we're living in the middle of a jungle. Ive tried to avoid drinking the tap water which I think is a good idea. Im buying a big bottle of water this weekend instead. Also I need to stock up on snacks, toothpaste and perhaps a different pillow - though the housing situation is better than the turtle camp, the BED situation is not.
I can tell these two months are going to be informative and adventurous, I'll have more pictures next weekend!
LOVE YOU GUYS SOOOOOOO MUCH
jack :)
ps. Just finished my best blog entry EVER - actually, best blog entry in world history. Tomorrow I'll have a couple pics of Taricaya stuff, and perhaps will upload to Facebook as well.